Saturday, October 22, 2005

Madonna - Hung Up



Madonna's back! After her last album American Life released in 2003, she's decided that she's better off returning to her disco roots instead of making commentary on George Bush and the war, but that's besides the point. Making Confessions On A Dance Floor was probably the best decision she's ever made, as the tracks featured are set to wow critics and bring her fans back with her, as she sets her visions on getting people off their butts to dance.

For the raging single that's set to kick this album to #1 around the world, Madonna had to write a letter to ABBA songwriters, asking for permission to sample one of their hits, Gimme Gimme Gimme. They had only given permission to one other artist prior to Madonna, but at her request, they approved and the world sits in awe of this new single.

This is what Madonna said in a recent interview with Attitude magazine:

"I had to send my emissary to Stockholm with a letter and the record begging them and imploring them and telling them how much I worship their music, telling them it was an homage to them, which is all true. And they had to think about it, Benny and Bjorn. They didn't say yes straight away. They never let anyone sample their music. They could have said no. Thank God they didn't."



When Pop's biggest creators come together, there's no expecting anything less than a record so massive that its impact cannot be ignored. Be it on Motorola's new commercial where her Madgesty squeezed in a phone booth while the ringtone of HU was playing or in upcoming CSI episodes where new remixes of the track will be played, there's no denying that this will be a track that you'll never be able to escape from.

Now I have been a big fan of Madonna since I actually started listening to radio, which was perhaps back when I was in P5, about 1998 or so. During that time, she was huge with her album, Ray of Light which boasts singles like Ray of Light, Frozen and Drowned World/Substitute For Love. I've been a fan of her work ever since. I don't think there are many artists who have managed in the space of the last decade (well perhaps Spears) to be so consistent with the hits. From soundtrack songs of American Pie and Die Another Day , as well as songs off her later albums, Music, Don't Tell Me and American Life, she has hardly ever been absent from the music scene. Innovation and her power to shock and get people interested in what she's up to has always been her greatest strength. You could say that she counts on plenty of publicity to sell albums, but that won't work if you're selling poop for music either.



Back to the song itself, I must say that it's cool. As I've mentioned previously, it's the kind of song I like - one that'll make people get out of their seat and dance. It's unpretentiously dancey, without meaningful lyrics (although those can be found on the rest of the album) and she isn't playing her own instruments in there but no one's going giveadamn about that, are they? I can't stop listening to it, and it's been on repeat for like 2 hours already. Seriously addictive stuff, with the ABBA sample being looped continuously during the chorus, it's a song that I haven't been able to get out of my head. Endearing? Check. Tasteful? Check. Accompanied by a bloody cool video? That's yet to be seen as the video is not out yet, but she's a confirmed performer for the EMAs on the 3rd of Nov, and I'm betting my chickens that she'll be performing this song!



Here's the lyrics of Hung Up:

Time goes by so slowly ( repeated 6 times)

Every little thing that you say or do
I'm hung up
I'm hung up on you
Waiting for your call
Baby night and day
I'm fed up
I'm tired of waiting on you

Time goes by so slowly for those who wait
No time to hesitate
Those who run seem to have all the fun
I'm caught up
I don't know what to do

Time goes by so slowly
Time goes by so slowly
Time goes by so slowly
I don't know what to do

Every little thing that you say or do
I'm hung up
I'm hung up on you
Waiting for your call
Baby night and day
I'm fed up
I'm tired of waiting on you

Every little thing that you say or do
I'm hung up
I'm hung up on you
Waiting for your call
Baby night and day
I'm fed up
I'm tired of waiting on you

Ring ring ring goes the telephone
The lights are on but there's no-one home
Tick tick tock it's a quarter to two
And I'm done
I'm hanging up on you

I can't keep on waiting for you
I know that you're still hesitating
Don't cry for me
'cause I'll find my way
you'll wake up one day
but it'll be too late

Every little thing that you say or do
I'm hung up
I'm hung up on you
Waiting for your call
Baby night and day
I'm fed up
I'm tired of waiting on you

Every little thing that you say or do
I'm hung up
I'm hung up on you
Waiting for your call
Baby night and day
I'm fed up
I'm tired of waiting on you




21 years into the business and the lady is still doing her stuff. Confessions On A Dancefloor will definitely outsell American Life (which was the lowest selling album of her career), and looks set to give her one of the best albums this decade.

Last of all, here's the press release for Confessions On A Dancefloor from www.madonna.com, where the Queen of Pop shares her vision for the upcoming album:

"I want people to jump out of their seats." Never one to understate, those were the exact words Madonna used to describe the songs on her upcoming album, -"Confessions On a Dance Floor". The 12 delicious tunes of pure 'unapologetic dance music' including the single "Hung Up" (out Oct.17th) is scheduled to be released on November 15th on Warner Bros. Records. This time out, the original Queen of Dance Music returns to where she began and kicks it up a few extra notches.

"It's in her blood" says Madonna's co-producer/partner in crime, DJ and Madonna musical director, Stuart Price. "She has a dance halo over her head. We made this record without any preconceived notions. It was straight from the gut - unencumbered -not over edited - very spontaneous, concluded Price.

If 'Confessions' were equated to a new dance step, it would a stunning blend of musical styles with one foot in the roots of early disco (a la Girogio Moroder/Abba on ecstacy) and the other foot gloriously ensconced in the future of music - a dance step that could only be accomplished by one artist.



Confessions on a Dance Floor is all about having a good time straight through and non stop." says America's ultimate Dancing Queen.


All hail the Queen.

No comments: