Sunday, November 05, 2006

ORD Loh!



These are the guys, that...
coax you to be cool upon encountering F*-up commanders,
help to clean your arms knowing that you are all too tired,
assist you during combat operations and missions,
influence you to 'mount the bed' during lou periods,
laugh with you over silly and pathetic instructions,
shit with you after marching back from breakfast,
compete with you for a better record in IPPT,
shares their personal stories with you,
wrestle with you during admin time,
pace you for the SOC (CFT) run-down,
eat with you during meals time,
sleep with you after lights out,
share their snacks and food,
.
..
and not forgetting
fighting alongside with you.

These are the guys, that...
use unorthodox methods to achieve their ulterior motives,
fight for their own priviledges without any considerations,
find ways and means to push the responsiblities to you,
yell, shout, scream at you over mundane tasks,
save their arse by pointing their fingers at you,
tease you right in front of the commanders,
harbour ill intentions to fully exploit on you,
slap literal harsh comments about you,
backstab right deep behind you,
.
..
and still not forgetting
fighting alongside with you.
- Melvin

This was written by a friend who's still serving NS. It describes my entire NS experience with the guys. The photo above is of our latest (and probably last) gathering as a platoon. I'm sure that no one will disagree with me if I say that our platoon is full of politics. I look back at photos from the past and see those who were once chummy with each other but not on talking terms at present, and I feel a tinge of regret, and sadness. I was going to ask for his permission to switch the poem around, illustrating the nasty before leaving the reader with the comfort of brotherhood. However that would totally defeat the description of bittersweet army experience emphasized with the final words, "and still not forgetting, fighting alongside (with) you".



Like most people, my journey kicked off with a 3 month stint famously known as BMT at Tekong. It rips my heart apart to think of those hours away from home and civilisation. I was a bitter boy back then. Thankfully I enjoyed the company of my section. Our frequent food parties and music appreciation sessions are the things that stay stuck in my mind. Despite harbouring an intense dislike for my buddy, I made it through field camp in one piece - and that was a hell of an experience.



We didn't go out as often as we'd like, which was not entirely our fault because during those 3 months we had less than 30 hours away from camp every week, and after being stuck together for such long periods of time, there was a part (in everyone) that just wanted to leave it all behind upon booking out. Even though I haven't met (some of) them since we POP-ed, a deep impression of them remains in my head. Yu Wei, the chill-out dude; Zhi Wei and Alan, both masters in DDR, till now I don't have any friends who're better than me; Jia Wei, the resident John Constantine; Jeremie, the nurse and storyteller; Mao Xiang, the section IC; Shawn, the fit, friendly and destined-for-OCS guy; Song, the regular techno-lover; Julian, the guy who'd holler his lungs out while singing; and Wei Hao, probably my best pal in the platoon.

After that I got posted to unit straightaway, though I was a bit taken by surprise but it's not as if I could do anything about it. And the pay was good, so I guess I shouldn't complain. It was as if I were in a weirdly exclusive club - everyone's worn MOPP 4, but how many make it their vocation?


1.
Merchant Court, 11th July 2005 2. Marina Outcamp Run, Oct 2005 3. Carnival at Marina, 14th August 2005 4. Platoon BBQ, 12th September 2005

Initially our platoon was rather united. My section was well-bonded. We went for our first outing together at Merchant Court for a buffet. There was a time when some of us were chosen to do the display and I went over and paid them a visit. Then there were numerous outcamp runs that took us all over Singapore. Our training was fierce as we were on course. On top of that we had the responsibilities of setting up the decorations for SAF Day on our shoulders. It was painful, but it sure brings back a lot of memories.


1. Cocksters 4ever, 23rd Oct 2005 2. Chicken Little, 2nd Dec 2005 3. Sushi Buffet, 15th Oct 2005 4. PS Treat

Slowly but surely we started breaking up into cliques. I didn't know where I stood at that time either. I was too busy with other things, and always put my friends as my top priority. I didn't go out often with my sectionmates and wasn't into gaming as the rest of the platoon was. In truth, it was an awkward period and I felt a little out of place. I found my own clique though - Daniel, Terence and Sern Hong, whom I would later go on 2 overseas trips with.


Bravo Chalet, 10th Nov 05

The end of the year brought two huge events that contributed to platoon cohesion. First was the memorable company chalet where we spent 3 days 2 nights still eating and sleeping together, but this time, out of camp. The next was a two week trip to Brunei. Although only a few of us went, it gave me a chance to know my platoonmates better, especially Jeffrey, Chris and Guo Rui.

I'm just going through the most unforgettable events off the top of my head, so if I've missed out on stuff or sound incoherent, please forgive me.

The year came and went and I went for jeep course. For me, despite having the privelige of staying out, it was the most hellish period of my NS life. I have never been screamed at with more frustration, anger and disgust. The thing that I gained from that period of time (despite what you all may believe were the free driving lessons) was the friendship of the platoonmates who attended the course with me, and empathised with what I was going through. Guo Fei, Kenneth and Zhi Cong were especially close to me (Chris was in another group) during that period of time. It was also then that GF'd start tempting me to give in to the comforts of good food.

"Jason, yao bu yao qu canteen?" would be the question that'd be repeated countless times throughout the year, even after we returned to unit, and to me it was more than asking if I'd like to indulge in some oil-drenched toasted bread wrapped around a hotdog. It was extending a hand of friendship.

For the first time, I also got the chance to interact with people outside of my platoon like Taffy and Chee Wee.

Back at the company, there was massive reshuffling going on. Sern Hong, Daniel and Jeeveraj got transferred out of the platoon, while Platoon 4 was split up and redistributed to the other 3 platoons. They breathed new life into our platoon, and I couldn't help but welcome their presence. Hong Yee, Max, Samuel, Desmond, Shao Wei and Michael took some time, but eventually found their place and fitted right in the platoon, perhaps even better than I did.

The most enjoyable guard duty I did was with Samuel. Surprisingly we hit off well despite being almost complete strangers before. We talked about everything - from our platoons, our lives, music, driving, thoughts and attitudes towards life. Time flew. It was really amazing. Sometimes it was as if he could read my mind (with one guess he knew I liked Birtney Spears), although I couldn't exactly do the same. We had musical discussions of acts who used to be popular when we were in Secondary School, everyone from The Cardigans to a1. It's hard to find someone with such musical knowledge and appreciation. Despite the both of us being quite different, it was really cool how we could talk in the face of such a dreary activity. After that we also shared a crazy obsession with Franz Ferdinand - to the extent of singing it madly on the minibus which we were having night driving orientation. It irritated Kenneth so much that he undid my shoelaces and stole the ball! It's a moment forever etched in my mind.


Vertical Marathon, 12th March 06

The National Vertical Marathon was a really cool event as quite a lot of us decided to do something we'd never try before - climbing 43 stories. The only commander was our OC, but as his men we rallied behind him and the attendence was nothing short of impressive. It was a truly exhausting but fun experience.


1. Jurong Pool, 13th March 06 2. Sakura Is Good, 12th May 06 3. Ivan's Stayover, 5th July 06 4. New Balance Real Run, 20th Aug 06

It is only when I see these photos that I realise how much these people have become a part of my life. We rocked the Lazy River at the Jurong Pool, wiped plates clean with our tongues at Sakura, went to Ivan's house for steamboat, PS games and to watch one of the World Cup matches, and even took part in the New Balance Real Run. You'd think we'd be thoroughly sick of running already! After that we had a whole lot of fun at the beach, a first for my platoonmates and I.

The operations that I went through were really cool because they brought me to places that I'd normally never get access to. It let me do things I would never get to do. I worked and got to know my Sergents very well during the time we were stuck together, namely Sgt Nicholas and Sgt Wei Jian. I got the chance to look smart doing security. I got the chance to drive the SUV around Suntec. I went to the secret places of hotels and The Esplanade, which sort of reminded me of Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory. It's so behind-the-scenes that you never knew it existed!

There are so many people I'd like to thank for making my stint in 39 SCE a happy ride, despite the many bumps along the way. Most importantly it'd be Daniel and Terence, without whom there'd be no one to watch my back, help me apply off and take leave, and chat with in the most brain-numbingly boring times. They are the ones I travelled on 2 consecutive trips overseas (along with Sern Hong), and I don't think there's a need for me to post pictures of those already heavily-blogged-about times. I trust them to look out for my best interests when I'm not around, and in turn, I offer the same. Heck, when we did standby together, few had better chemistry than us.

Last but not least, at least for the purpose of this entry, I'd like to give a shoutout to my buddy, Jian Hong. He's the reknowned slacker in our platoon, but for some reason he's always available to help me. I could still remember the first week in camp, he left his phone in his father's car and I lent him mine to call his female friends. We have a ritual of pulling our bedsheets together, despite being perfectly able to do it alone. We help each other out a lot, sometimes silently, sometimes making a big fuss out of it. We don't think along the same lines yet we've never gotten into conflict with each other. We blatantly share each others' food, always on the claims that we can't finish it individually. I helped him to dekit, and he's helping me to get the Senior Medic's signature for my clearance form. Deep down, he's a good guy, and I wish him all the best for his A levels. Thanks buddy.

There's so much more I want to write and people I don't want to forget, but I think I'll need another entry. This one's... staggering.

I'm going to collect the PINK IC in a few hours. I haven't seen it for 1 year and 10 months. Wonder if it still looks the same as before.

ORD LOH!
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

No comments: