Monday, November 21, 2011

那些年,我們一起追的女孩

qp01

I was really surprised that the first shot was that of an apple. Was it a coincidence or was this Taiwanese film conscious about its title being translated to English? What kind would it portray?

As it went on, curiously enough, it brought out that tone - quirky, innocent, carefree, friendly mood - that the Taiwanese were well-known for. Despite talking openly and rampantly about sex, it wasn't very sexual (ahhh, Hollywood). Despite being emotional, it wasn't melodramatic (ahhh, Korean films). It made me miss Taiwan - the people, the mood, the food. Just like the movie, never overproduced, never extravagant, but always rich.

Many moments got me laughing out loud. There were the ones that were obvious - the physical comedy. There were the cultural bits - Jay Chou's opening seconds of his ping pong track. Then they are those that catch you by surprise - this really is what I think, this was how I felt, that was once me - and I'd let out a mangled laughter. That of surprise, bewilderment and being touched.

It was a film that was really grounded in Taiwan, but its story-telling is not as masterful as it could have been. It was lacking that final "kick". And as friends rightly pointed out - what's with that lengthy flashback?!

But still littered with beautiful moments, its a movie not to be missed. My favourite line from the movie goes: 人生本来就有很多事是徒劳无功的啊。

No comments: