Wednesday, December 30, 2015

10 TAKE MY MONEY Cafes and Restaurants 2015

I'm the kind of guy who eats to live but once in awhile you've got to indulge, and sometimes sharing a good meal is the best thing to do with people you love.

After a year of eating out so much cos I've moved out, I've spent more than I dare to admit, and gone to more places than I care to mention. Some dining spots were pretty but served crappy food, which was sad. Then there were others that made me go - TAKE MY MONEY!

I'm not some major food critic but here are my taste bud biases for 2015:

ONE: 320 Below

11 Tanjong Katong Road, #01-K1 One KM, Singapore 437157


Ever since I interviewed Aillyn, Director of 320 Below for shiok.sg and got to try their amazing creations, I was hooked! The coconut ice cream and lava cake is epic. You can even request for a mash-up of their ice cream flavours, one of which is lychee earl grey. They prepare the puree in front of you, freeze it with nitrogen at -320 Fahrenheit, and voila, ice cream that's fresh, delicious and with real fruit! Pretty outstanding IMO.

TWO: Curious Palette

64 Prinsep Street, Singapore 188667




Opened by the brilliant Ryan who has more barista awards than I can mention, the good coffee is a given but it's the food and desserts that are quite brainspoil. I've dragged friends there for ice cream waffles after dinner around PS and it never disappoints. Love that it comes with poached pears and other fruit. I've got to go back to try the rest. Visually satisfying, gastronomically tantalising. Nom nom nom.

THREE: Ikoi Japanese Restaurant

401 Havelock Road #01-01, Hotel Miramir, Singapore 169631


Tucked away in Hotel Miramir, the place looks simple but the sashimi is the bomb. Who knew this place would serve up Jap food buffet like it does? Love it! And this boat - just ordered tonnes of sashimi so I could see it plated like this. IM ON A BOAT

FOUR: Itacho Sushi

2 Ion Orchard, #03-20




From one Jap restaurant to the next, this is my go-to Jap food place forever. Relatively consistent, great selection and dishes that throw some surprises my way... I've pretty often, I guiltily admit. Love the sushi - put it in my mouth, take a moment, inhale and then go OMG!

FIVE: Legendary Hong Kong

63 Jurong West Central 3, #03-80 Provisional Unit Jurong Point 2 Shopping Centre, Singapore 648831



When it first opened, I was still working in the west so we went crazy when we had gatherings there. Haven't really explored many options for HK food in Singapore but Legendary Hong Kong really takes me back (to Hong Kong). Would love to hear from you if you have more recommendations but this, other than Tim Ho Wan, is at the top of my mind when I have a craving for bo luo bao and his friends.

SIX: Mad About Sucre

27 Teo Hong Rd, Singapore 088334





It's not just on the list cos the BFF works there now. Mad About Sucre delivers! Prettiest cakes I've ever seen and their servers come up to tell you a bit more about the story behind the desserts on your plate. Quite an experience. If you're feeling fancy, you could even have one of their customised teas (blends they came up with themselves and you can't get anywhere else) paired with your dessert. Rumour has it that a lady who used to get her stuff from Grand Hyatt came here instead for her Christmas Party and spent... well, probably my monthly pay check!

SEVEN: Muchachos

22 Keong Saik Road, Singapore 089129




Went once before it closed for renovations and then a couple of times more after that. Loving the bad-ass skull outside and the slightly greasy Mexican food they serve. Instantly memorable, huge portions and now with a roomier seating area (but enclosed and everyone's voice echoes like crazy), this is where I want to be when I need to sink my teeth into a burrito or tortilla. Gah. This is making my stomach rumble right now.


EIGHT: The Populus Coffee & Food Co.

146 Neil Road, Singapore 088875




Yes, yes and yes. This is what happens when you combine the sensibilities of what makes a good cafe and put it into a modern, edgy outfit - you get Populus. New kid on the block and it clearly knows what I want. Gorgeous, insta-worthy food that's prepared with a twist. Loved the stuff I had there. Refreshing compared to most cafes I've been, and although I seem to remember it being slightly pricier than most places, it really got me saying - TAKE MY MONEH!

NINE: Ronin Cafe

17 Hong Kong Street, Singapore 059660





It's like the best well-kept secret. There isn't even any sign of it at the door! The green tea latte was awesome and food was genius, combining sweet with meat... WOW. It's not a place for instagram - it's dark, it's chill, low-key, a place for you to find seek solace, solitude, a place away from the outside world.


TEN: Sunday Folks

44 Jalan Merah Saga, #01-52 Chip Bee Gardens, Singapore 278116



There's a pattern here - I have a bit of a weakness for ice cream waffles. Opened this year, I believe. There's a queue no matter the time of day and I only managed to get it when it was the very last order for this. On par with Creamier but cuter and for some reason, tastier. I need to go back.


I'm always on the hunt for places with reasonable prices. Leave a comment and let me know if you've got any recommendations, especially those serving wicked Jap food and sinful ice cream waffles!

No comments: